The Appalachian State University (ASU) Physical Education Activity (PEA) program aspires to be the premier physical education activity program in the nation.
The Appalachian State University (ASU) Physical Education Activity (PEA) program offers a wide variety of comprehensive, innovative activity-based courses to assist students to become physically literate while meeting ASU's General Education Wellness Literacy Requirements.
The program provides opportunities for students to:
- Assess personal and family health history;
- Develop a personal wellness plan;
- Develop the skills necessary to maintain and/or improve wellness;
- Identify potential barriers to wellness and develop a plan to overcome those barriers; and
- Identify social and cultural influences that impact health on both a personal and global scale.
Students enrolled in PEA courses are expected to develop as physically literate individuals.
The National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) defines a physically literate individual as one who:
- Has learned the skills necessary to perform a variety of physical activities;
- Participates regularly in physical activity;
- Is physically fit;
- Knows the implications of and the benefits of physical activities; and
- Values physical activity and its contributions to a healthful lifestyle.