Sport Science and Coaching
The HPEC program offers a minor in Sport Science and Coaching, as well as a secondary academic concentration for teacher education students, and a stand-alone certificate. These programs are geared toward individuals who seek to become coaches in high school, college and university, Olympic, and competitive club-sport programs. Students who participate in one of these program options can earn the National Bronze Level Coaching Certification through the American Sport Education Program.
Sport Science and Coaching Minor
Required Courses (9 Hours)
A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for courses in the minor.
- HPE 3010 - Coaching Principles (3)
- HPE 3020 - Sport First Aid (3)
- HPE 3030 - Sport-Specific Coaching (3)
Electives (9 Hours)
- HPE 2120 - Kinesiology (3)
- HPE 4002 - Psychological Aspects of Sport (3)
- HPPE 3040 - Principles of Fitness and Conditioning (3)
- HPE 4650 - Drug Education and Prevention (3)
- RM 2120 - Leadership and Group Dynamics in Recreation (3)
- RM 3235 - Introduction to Sport Management (3)
- RM 3236 - Sports Officiating I (3)
- RM 3237 - Sports Officiating II (3)
- SOC 2700 - Sociology of Sport (3)
- Taking the required courses HPE 3010, HPE 3020, and HPE 3030 and passing the exit exam in each with a >80% will result in a National Bronze Level Coaching Certification through the American Sport Education Program.
- Students may double count up to 6 sh from General Education and/or Major.
- Students may either count RM 3236 or RM 3237 as an elective, not both.