Appalachian State University’s Department of Recreation Management and Physical Education (RMPE) aspires to be a global model for developing leaders in the recreation management, health, physical education, and coaching professions who have the capacity and desire to improve the lives of those in the communities in which they live, work, and recreate. Professional preparation is supported by our competent, passionate faculty who engage in superior teaching, scholarship, and service.
The mission of Appalachian State University's Department of Recreation Management and Physical Education (RMPE) is to prepare highly qualified recreation management, health, physical education, and coaching professionals while also providing a variety of high-quality physical education courses to increase the overall physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being of our university community.
United by a common mission, each departmental program is dedicated to achieving the following goals:
• Implement innovative, collaborative, student-centered, outcomes-based educational programs
• Offer undergraduate degrees in accredited programs
• Deliver general education wellness literacy courses that promote active, healthy lifestyles
• Provide professional service to students, the University community, allied groups, organizations, and practitioners
• Conduct theoretical and applied research that contributes to the body of knowledge in each discipline.