- PhD, Parks Recreation and Tourism Management, Clemson University
- Masters of Science in Curriculum and Instruction, Northern Illinois University
- Bachelor of Science in Education, University of Georgia
- RM 2110 Introducation to Recreation and Leisure
- RM 3242 Tourism in Costa Rica
- RM 2210 Recreation Resource Management
- RM 3315 Career Development
- Leisure & Recreation
- Human Dimensions of Resource Management
- Outdoor/Environmental Education
Professional Affiliations / Organizations
- National Association for Interpreters
- Association for Experiential Education
- North American Association for Environmental Education
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources
- National Parks and Recreation Association
- Children in the outdoors
- Learning in nonformal educational settings outdoor, adventure, experiential and interpretation
- Natural and Cultural Interpretation
- Environmental socialization
- Healthy Lifestyles/Children
- Formative evaluation in nonformal educational settings
- Human dimensions of natural resources
- James, J. J. & Bixler, R. (accepted Fall 2009). Environmental Socialization: A developmental model for natural history oriented environmental professionals. Children, Youth and Environments.
- James, J. J. & Bixler, R. (2008). Children's role in meaning making through their participation in an environmental education program. Journal of Environmental Education 39 (1): 44-59.
- Vadala, C., Bixler, R. D., & James, J. J. (2007) Childhood Play and Environmental Interests: Panacea or Snake Oil? Journal of Environmental Education 39 (1): 3-18.
- Bixler, R. D. & James, J. J. (2005). Environmental Socialization: The Critical Peripheral. In W. L. Filho (Ed.) Handbook of Sustainability Research.
Title: Associate Professor
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-6322