- B.S., University of Georgia
- M.S.,Curriculum and Instruction, Northern Illinois University
- Ph.D., Parks Recreation and Tourism Management, Clemson University
- RM 2100
- RM 2220
- RM 2210
- RM 2310
- RM 3315
- RM 3140
- RM 4210
How did you discover Appalachian State University?
"While in college, I came up to Boone to ski at Beech Mountain."
What is your favorite thing about Boone?
"Access to hiking trails!"
What excites you most about your field?
"We make a difference in people's lives!"
What are some highlights of your career?
"Working as a National Park Ranger, Girl Scout Camp Director and an Outdoor Education Professional. All of these highlight my interest in getting people comfortable and enjoying the outdoors!"
"Live Well, Laugh Often, and Love Much!"
Professional Affiliations / Organizations
- North Carolina Parks and Recreation Association
- American Camping Association
- National Association for Interpretation
- Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP)
- Certified Interpretive Guide Trainer (CIGT)
- Environmental Socialization
- Outdoor Play Rx Programs
- Children in the outdoors - Forest Schools, natural playgrounds, learning in nonformal educational settings (outdoor, adventure, experiential, and interpretation)
- Towner, B. C., Venrick, H. W., Broce, B., Christiana, R. W., Battista, R. A. & James, J. J. (March, 2021). Got nature? An interdisciplinary approach to promoting healthy outdoor play and exercise. Journal of the Blue Cross NC Institue for Health & Human Services Sustainable Health 1, pp. 68-74.
- James , J. J., (2020). Faculty Cooperative Curricular Activities: Shared Learning Experiences + Faculty Collaboration = Engaged Learners, SCHOLE: A Journal of Leisure Studies and Recreation Education, 35:1, 41-45, DOI: 10.1080/1937156X.2020.1720463
- James, J. J., Christiana, R. & Battista, R. (2019). A Historical and Critical Analysis of Park Prescriptions. Journal of Leisure Research, 50:4, 311-329, DOI: 10.1080/00222216.2019.1617647
"Promoting HOPE (Healthy Outdoor Play and Exercise) for children and youth" HOPE Lab
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-6322